Location: Portland, Oregon
The Assistant Dean for APRN Programs/Faculty is responsible for aligning the people, structures, processes, and resources of the organization to optimize pursuit of Advanced Practice Programs (APP) characterized by excellence. This individual is responsible for oversight of the APRN Specialty DNP Programs and will work closely with the specialty Program Directors to ensure the innovative and effective delivery and continuous improvement of the curriculum. The Assistant Dean for APRN Programs/Faculty is also responsible for creating an environment that encourages growth and success of APRN Program Directors. As a member of the school's leadership team, the Assistant Dean for APRN Programs/Faculty will work to provide coordinated leadership for APRN graduate programs in the school. Ideally, the role of the Assistant Dean for APRN Programs/Faculty will be complemented by workload contribution in the area(s) of teaching, practice, and/or scholarship. Reports directly to the Associate Dean for Graduate Programs.
Function/Duties of Position
- Champion the vision and distinctions of the APRN Graduate Programs with internal and external stakeholders by representing the program through meetings and establishing networks.
- Foster a positive culture that prizes integrity, diversity, collaboration/integration, innovation, and excellence through the development of people, teambuilding and strong leadership.
- Lead APRN Program Directors in creating and implementing plans that promote affordability, accessibility, and student success for the DNP degree.
- Collaborate with APRN Program Directors to optimize utilization of resources to ensure sustainability.
- Collaborate with Associate Dean for Graduate Programs to promote leadership development of the APRN Program Directors.
- Oversee the coordination, delivery, and continuous improvement (assessment, evaluation, and change management) of the APRN specialty core curriculum.
- Ensure that accreditation and credentialing requirements are met across all specialty programs and core APRN courses.
- Collaborate with business offices to leverage fiscal and personnel resources to ensure program sustainability.
- Liaise with external stakeholders, such as regulators, to maintain healthy relationships and stay abreast of trends and changes in educational and practice environments.
- Collaborate with Office of Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, Admissions, and Marketing to monitor and improve student recruitment, enrollment, retention, and progression and use data to make recommendations for improvement.
Management and Leadership
- Guide the activity of specialty APRN program PDs including evaluating performance and progress toward annual goals, facilitating growth and development, and supporting career progression.
- Cultivate a positive culture of openness, transparency, respect, integrity, valuing of all specialty programs, high performance, and excellence.
- Engage with the Senior Associate Dean for Student Affairs and Diversity to support the resolution of student and faculty issues and concerns.
- Support the recruitment, orientation and onboarding, and retention of new (and current) faculty.
- Promote and support the practice engagement of specialty program faculty.
- The appointee shall provide services as assigned by the supervisor in furtherance of the university's missions and goals of teaching, administration, outreach and public service.
Strong practice background as an APRN
Experience as an academic program administrator. Experience working simultaneously as a clinician and an educator
Oregon RN license
National certification from an accredited national certifying body for advanced practice
Current CPR card required
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
Proven ability to effectively manage operational resources (people, supplies equipment, space) to meet both quality and cost expectations/targets
Strong organizational skills and ability to interface effectively at all levels of the organization. Minimum qualifications for rank as an Associate Professor.
Experience working at an Academic Health Center
Recent practice experience
Experience teaching in APRN core and specialty courses
Experience in leading process improvement and organizational change
Leadership at state or national level
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies)
Demonstrated commitment to clinical practice doctorate
High-level of emotional intelligence
Demonstrated understanding and experience with the institutional culture and priorities and ability to adapt and lead in the discipline of nursing
Appreciation for regulatory variability across states
As one of Portland's largest and premier employers, OHSU is committed to providing comprehensive, affordable, and customizable benefits for our employees. OHSU's medical plans offer comprehensive coverage with access to the best physicians and hospitals, including the award-winning care we provide at OHSU. Most full-time employees do not pay any amount for employee-only coverage for medical, dental, and vision coverage. Our total rewards package includes 26 days of PTO*, 9 paid holidays*, employee discount programs and options for tuition reimbursement, student loan repayment, and retirement plans in addition to many other benefits. Most faculty positions are eligible for relocation assistance.
*Prorated based on FTE.
As part of the qualifications requirement, the following Core Competencies are expected of all OHSU employees regardless of their position within the organization.
Accountability: Ability to establish mutual agreements that result in clear responsibility, taking personal action to accomplish an agreed result and assuming personal responsibility for the results of behavior and actions.
Integrity: Actions are consistent with ethical values. Honest in communication and actions.
Diversity: Honors the uniqueness of each individual, challenges stereotypes and promotes sensitivity and inclusion. Functions effectively and respectfully within the context of varying cultural beliefs, behaviors and backgrounds.
Respect: Demonstrates consideration and appreciation for colleagues, clients and customers.
Service Orientation: Seeks opportunities to improve the work and work environment to better meet the needs of internal and external customers.
Teamwork & Collaboration: Works cooperatively and productively with others to achieve shared goals.
Communication: Demonstrates the ability to convey thoughts and ideas as well as understand perspective of others.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org. As an organization devoted to the health and well-being of people in Oregon and beyond, OHSU requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.