Job Description Summary
The Housing Operations Coordinator is a 12-month, full time position responsible for coordinating multiple logistical operations for the department, ensuring an efficient housing operation that maximizes satisfaction for students. Responsibilities include direct management and oversight of the comprehensive front desk system in the university’s residence halls, ensuring the students are provided an exceptional customer service experience and that the facility is presenting an image consistent with the university. This position will assist with similar projects including the management of the Quad Core Fitness Centers in the halls, supervision of the Operations Assistants who provide facility support, and assist with summer conference planning. Additionally, they will partner with the Assistant Director of Housing to coordinate an off campus transition program for undergraduate resident students that helps prepare them for success in off campus living and provides them resources to listings to successfully find housing. Close proximity to campus is important to provide after hours support to operational functions as needed. Staff is provided a 1 bedroom on campus apartment at no cost and a meal plan. Staff may negotiate to reside off campus provided they are able to provide a response plan for after hours support.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
Front Desk Management (20%)
● Direct, manage and oversee the operations for the residence hall front desk system ensuring an exceptional customer service experience for stakeholders.
● Supervise the training, recruitment and evaluation model that results in a high caliber front desk team (with the assistance of the student Desk Coordinator) at every residence hall front desk that will ensure staff are efficient in maintaining desk operations and responsibilities
● Partner with the Director of Housing Auxiliary Operations and Residence Education in the creation of a long term front desk facility improvement plan that will ensure MTU is providing a cutting edge front desk resource for students
● Maintain oversight of desk staff payroll and establish an equitable process on wage increases
● Create a communication plan that will provide regular and timely updates to the residential community about policies, procedures, urgent events, and other pertinent updates related to their housing experience
Quad Core Fitness Center Management Responsibilities (20%)
● Provide leadership and oversight to the management of the Quad Core Fitness Center facility and provide recommendations for improvements as needed
● Partner with the Director of Housing Auxiliary Operations and Residence Education to manage the budget for the Quad Core Fitness Center and assemble a short term and long term facility improvement plan
● Routinely check the Quad Core Fitness Center spaces on a weekly basis and partner with facilities on submitting work orders addressing disrepairs
● Collect student interest and solicit feedback on ways to improve the Quad Core experience for resident students
Summer Conferencing Responsibilities (20%)
● Assist the Marketing and Communications Manager in the recruitment, coordination and efficient execution of the departments summer conferences program
● Provide excellent customer service to all summer conferencing participants ensuring efficient and accurate smooth operations in all aspects of logistical planning
● Partner with Summer Youth Programs (SYP) as needed in supporting cross over logistical planning between camps and conferences
Off Campus and independent living coordinator responsibilities (20%)
● Partner with the Assistant Director of Housing in the creation and management of a single source resource (e.g., print and website) that provides updated listings of available off-campus housing for students.
● Market available resources to the residential community
● Collaborate with the graduate school on assisting graduate students to successfully connect with off campus living resources
● Assist in the creation of an off-campus educational program taught each semester that will assist students in making successful transitions to independent living (off-campus housing)
Logistical coordinator for various Housing Projects (20%)
● Oversee the Operational Assistant program including the training, supervision, and overall management for up to five staff who provide operational support to the residence halls
● Support and assist department and divisional leaders in efforts to enhance brand, operations, services, visibility, and impact internally and externally, especially within the profession.
● Perform other mission-critical and position-specific duties as requested based on operational needs (e.g., all-hands-on-deck events such as orientation, welcome week, homecoming, commencement, and other university traditions)
Core mission-critical duties for Auxiliary Services/Student Affairs staff
● Apply safety-related knowledge, skills, and practices to everyday work.
● Actively engage in creating an inclusive, welcoming, and professional work environment for staff, students, and visitors.
● Collaborate with appropriate stakeholders to ensure that services delivered to students are audience-specific, timely, culturally-relevant, needs-based, aligned with leadership’s priorities and student learning outcomes, and can be evaluated.
● Leverage relevant social media platforms and other marketing and outreach strategies to promote and increase attendance at events.
● Maintain a positive and professional attitude while carrying out responsibilities.
● Identify and propose appropriate professional development opportunities to enhance knowledge and skills.
● Collaborate with supervisor and division leadership to enhance the visibility of achievements by, for example, exploring and submitting proposals to conferences to showcase effective programs that may be replicated within the profession.
● Develop, propose, and manage approved programming budgets based on data and event requirements.
● Recruit, hire, supervise, and evaluate any approved and assigned student employees.
● Participate and actively engage in University continuous improvement initiatives and strategies and apply knowledge to everyday work.
● Assist with collecting program data and other evidence to better understand student needs, student learning, and programmatic formative and summative outcomes.
● Ensure that office databases and other record-keeping systems are updated, accurate, and audit-ready.
● Submit monthly, annual, and ad hoc productivity reports.
Required Education, Certifications, Licensures (minimum requirements)
● Bachelor’s degree in Business, Hospitality Management, or a related field
Required Experience (minimum requirements)
● 2 years of previous residence hall experience required.
● Transferable experience in hospitality management can also be considered.
Desirable Education and/or Experience
● Master’s degree in Higher Education, Hospitality Management, Business, or a related field. 2 or more years in a higher education setting. Having experience in the residence life field in a University setting preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities (minimum requirements)
1. Communication skills: ability to communicate effectively with individuals across racial, ethnic, cultural, and other boundaries and styles through interpersonal, oral, written, and group presentation modalities.
2. Self-management skills: ability to manage time effectively, learn and fully contribute to overall departmental tasks and goals, and offer suggestions for enhancing contributions to organization.
3. Event and program planning skills: ability to plan and organize events/programs/services from conception to full execution including identifying and addressing important details.
4. Relational skills: ability to develop and maintain positive and harmonious professional relationships in a team environment and with individuals from various diverse backgrounds and experiences.
5. Conflict resolution skills: ability to address and resolve differences and conflict with colleagues, students, and others.
6. Analytical skills: ability to analyze complex information and offer sound recommendations.
7. Computational skills: ability to perform basic mathematical computations to assist with financial operations and data collection, analysis, and reporting.
8. Computer skills: proficiency with word processing and spreadsheet software, preferably Microsoft Office or Google Suite.
1. Ability to adhere to work attendance requirements.
2. Ability to model self-care and well-being for colleagues and, most importantly, students.
3. Ability to manage emotions, function effectively, and make sound decisions in stressful and crisis situations.
4. Ability to handle multiple projects in a timely and professional manner in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment.
5. Ability to promote and achieve diversity, equity, and inclusion of multi-racial/ethnic, low-income, LGBTQ+, veteran, non-traditional, online, disability, first-generation, and others.
6. Ability to be flexible, diplomatic, patient, service-driven, and a self-starter.
7. Ability to work independently under limited supervision and in teams.
8. Ability to make reasoned administrative and procedural decisions and judgments on sensitive and confidential issues.
9. Ability to work evening and weekend hours based on operational need.
Possession of a valid driver's license and ability to comply with Michigan Tech vehicle-use requirements.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills, and/or Abilities
1. Housing Management Software: Previous experience utilizing housing management software or a strong desire to learn
2. Preparatory knowledge: coursework- or work-based knowledge of student development theories, learning theories, and other theories related to profession.
3. Student knowledge: knowledge of generational college students and the ability to design generation- and audience-specific programs/events/services.
4. Accountability: experience with applying formative, summative, qualitative, and/or quantitative methodologies to assessing student learning outcomes and/or evaluating programs and services.
5. Branding experience: ability to design brochures, event flyers, and/or newsletters
6. Social media experience: ability to develop and manage social media accounts
7. Reporting experience: experience with program databases or software programs used to track, monitor, and report services to students.
8. Ability to plan and execute programs and services based on social justice, cultural responsiveness, anti-racism, and civility.
Work Environment and/or Physical Demands
● Moving small- to medium-sized boxes of materials in and out office during special events
● Driving personal or university vehicles or golf-cart during special events to transport materials and supplies to events
● The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate
● Day to day work occurs in an office situated in an undergraduate residence hall setting amongst living spaces for students.
● Evening and weekend hours for this position may be required during peak housing periods such as opening (fall, spring, summer), break periods (Thanksgiving, winter, and spring breaks), and closing (fall, spring, and summer). During the month of August, staff should anticipate a high demand workload in preparation for the opening of the academic year. Time off requests for the month of August are typically unable to be approved.
● After hours phone calls and callback support to provide operational assistance may be required.
● This position will be collaboratively supervised by two Assistant Directors of Housing necessitating dual communication.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Training and Other Conditions of Employment
Every employee at Michigan Technological University will receive the following 4 required trainings; additional training may be required by the department.
Required University Training:
Employee Safety Overview
Anti-Harassment, Discrimination, Retaliation Training
Annual Data Security Training
- Annual Title IX Training
Required Departmental Training:
- Adirondack Housing Management Software
Offers of employment are contingent upon and not considered finalized until the required background check has been performed and the results received and assessed.
Other Conditions of Employment:
The successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. Visa sponsorship is unavailable at this time. This is not an E-Verified Position.
|Full-Time Equivalent (FTE) % (1=100%) || |
Negotiable based on education/experience, no less than $37,000, includes housing accommodations .
Title of Position Supervisor
Assistant Director of Housing
|Internal & External Posting |
Special Instructions to Applicants (if applicable)
Please upload a cover letter that addresses required and desired qualifications, knowledge, skills, and abilities; a résumé with starting and ending month and year for each job; and contact information for three references (one must be a former supervisor). Position will remain open until filled.
Examples of Critical Measures of Success
1. Ensuring 95% of daily front desk operations are efficient and are accurately following the policies and procedures 90% of the time or higher.
2. Maintaining 95% of Quad Core operations, ensuring students are following policies and facility concerns are addressed within 48 hours of report.
3. Maintaining an accurate camps/conferences event plan that is able to be fulfilled at least 90% of the time.
4. Maintaining 75% or higher student satisfaction rates on Quad Core, Front Desk, and other services managed.
Michigan Tech is an internationally renowned doctoral research flagship university located in Houghton, MI. Houghton is located in Michigan's scenic Upper Peninsula on the south shore of Lake Superior. The area provides a unique setting where natural beauty, culture, education, and a diversity of residents from around the world come together to share a superb living and learning experience.
We embrace our winters and cherish our summers with an unapologetic spirit of resilience and adventure. We attract students and employees who love “the great outdoors” and are comfortable with not having amenities usually associated with large communities. Interested individuals are strongly encouraged to research the geographical area carefully before applying.
Michigan Tech is an ADVANCE institution, one of a select group of universities in receipt of NSF funds in support of our commitment to increase diversity and the participation and advancement of women in STEM.
Michigan Technological University is an Equal Opportunity Educational Institution/Equal Opportunity Employer that provides equal opportunity for all, including protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
The Character of Student Affairs and Auxiliary Services
Residence Education and Housing Services thrives under the partnered leadership of both the Divisions of Student Affairs and Auxiliary Services. The partnership is devoted to student success from enrollment to commencement. We are dynamic, agile, and culturally-responsive. We guide, support, and, on occasion, challenge students as they develop, refine, and pursue their academic, career, and personal endeavors. All staff are responsible for creating a safe, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, respectful, and caring environment for students, colleagues, and visitors. We seek skilled and diverse colleagues who are student-focused, nimble, self-motivated, and will embrace and respect who we are and what we do. We also seek colleagues committed to moving the Division forward towards prominence and influence on campus, nationally, and within the profession. Titles and responsibilities are subject to change in accordance with university policies and procedures to meet the needs of our students, the university and divisions, the state of Michigan, employers, and the profession.
Before applying, we encourage interested individuals to spend time learning more about who we are, our values, and what we do: https://www.mtu.edu/student-affairs/ and https://www.mtu.edu/administration/