The Associate General Counsel/Assistant General Counsel will engage in a wide-ranging, challenging, fast-paced, and demanding general higher education legal practice with an emphasis on transactional matters. Practice areas will have a primary focus on supporting the University in transactional matters, including the management of contracts by reviewing requests for proposals for legal form, drafting and negotiating contracts, and ensuring compliance by the University with applicable federal and state laws and regulations; providing legal advice, counsel, training, and support in the areas of sponsored research, University policies, purchasing, real estate, construction, information technology, data security and privacy, and intellectual property matters. A successful candidate should expect to work in person on the University's campus and be able to work independently and as part of a team.
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University's Office of Legal Affairs provides, manages, and coordinates all legal services for the University. The office provides legal, compliance, and risk management advice on a wide variety of matters to the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, senior officers, other University administrators, and faculty and staff acting on behalf of the university. These matters include but are not limited to employment, student affairs, athletics, public records, real property, sponsored programs, intellectual property, purchasing, governance, and civil rights. The office represents the University in administrative proceedings before federal and state agencies and coordinates all litigation matters.
Internal job number: 000103
Minimum Degree and Experience Qualifications
· Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an accredited law school.
· Excellent academic credentials.
· License to practice law in the State of North Carolina and admission to North Carolina State Bar (or admission within 12 months of hire).
· Strong analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
· Understanding of the University's operating environment and compliance obligations.
· Excellent research, writing, drafting, and client counseling skills.
· Ability to juggle shifting priorities and multiple demanding projects.
· Detail-oriented and demonstrated experience as an effective team member and excellent judgment.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
· Commitment to the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion and support for the University's unique mission.
· For appointment as Associate General Counsel: At least six (6) years of relevant, progressively responsible legal experience.
· For appointment Assistant General Counsel: At least three (3) years of relevant, progressively responsible legal experience.
· Prior representation of higher education clients, in-house counsel experience and/or prior corporate, transactional, and/or compliance experience and experience with litigation and/or responding administrative agencies.
· For appointment as Associate General Counsel: At least eight (8) years of relevant, progressively responsible legal experience.
· For appointment Assistant General Counsel: At least five (5) years of relevant, progressively responsible legal experience.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD 214 form. Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty with your application during the process of applying to the job posting. Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks. North Carolina A&T State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. North Carolina A&T State University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. No one who applies or seeks employment will be denied admission to or employment at North Carolina A&T State University on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, disabling condition, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or sexual orientation and sexual identity.
North Carolina Agricultural and Technical State University is one of the nation’s most highly respected doctoral research, land-grant institutions. With an enrollment of almost 11,000 students, we are committed to fulfilling our mission through exemplary undergraduate and graduate instruction, scholarly and creative research, and effective public service. As a member of the A&T family you will be an integral part of its history and future – joining more than 1,800 current faculty and staff. You will be expected to be a leader and mentor. You will influence the minds that will affect our world. As a change agent, you will use your intellect and influence to make a positive impact on the greater A&T community. A&T will be more than your job, it will become your passion—and that commitment to yourself and others will last a lifetime. Because that’s what Aggies Do!