|Job Summary: || |
This position will assist in projects to support both Recreation & Wellbeing (Rec Well) Summer Camp and the Scheduling & Events Department. Specific projects will be determined in conjunction with the successful candidate but may include serving as point of contact for summer special events, assisting in scheduling of internal Rec Well programs, developing summer camp programming, and/or student staff training and development.
|Responsibilities: ||Arranges logistics, provides broad administrative oversight, and implements programmatic changes for one or more recreational programs to efficiently provide a broad range of recreational services to the institutional community. Develops marketing and communication materials for promotion to students, staff, and customers; and assists with recreational program staff recruitment and development. |
- 25% Coordinates logistics for events and programs
- 25% Develops targeted communication plans and materials based on established goals
- 15% Identifies, proposes, and implements new or revised operational policies and procedures
- 20% Assists in implementing the staffing resource allocation plan including hiring, training, and supervision
- 5% Prepares and monitors budgets and purchases expenditures as needed
- 10% Engages in the Rec Well professional internship development curriculum, all staff meetings, divisional committees, and other professional development responsibilities and opportunities.
|Tasks: || |
- Maintain & update Divisional equipment inventory including creating how-to guides and training for key stake holders.
- Provides high quality customer service for summer camp and event participants.
- May assist in planning event logistics and provide on-site event support.
- May assist in planning Rec Well Summer Camp programming and field trips.
- May facilitate weekly staff in-services for Rec Well Summer Camp staff.
- May assist in risk management for Rec Well Summer Camp to include skill audits, risk assessment, and policy compliance.
- Maintain program and facility schedules for internal and external stakeholders.
|Institutional Statement on Diversity: || |
Diversity is a source of strength, creativity, and innovation for UW-Madison. We value the contributions of each person and respect the profound ways their identity, culture, background, experience, status, abilities, and opinion enrich the university community. We commit ourselves to the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research, outreach, and diversity as inextricably linked goals.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison fulfills its public mission by creating a welcoming and inclusive community for people from every background - people who as students, faculty, and staff serve Wisconsin and the world.
For more information on diversity and inclusion on campus, please visit: Diversity and Inclusion
|Education: || |
Achieve or advancing towards Bachelor's degree or higher in a related field
|Qualifications: || |
- Demonstrate communication, leadership, and organizational skills.
- Ability to think creatively and critically to identify and solve problems.
- Exceptional customer service experience.
- Adult & Pediatric First Aid, CPR, AED certification or ability to attain it within the first 30 days of start date.
- Compliance with all federal, state, campus and divisional youth protection policies including completion of mandatory trainings.
|Work Type: || |
It is anticipated this position requires work be performed in-person, onsite, at a designated campus work location.
|Appointment Type, Duration: || |
This position has the possibility to be extended based on need and/or funding.
|Salary: || |
|Additional Information: || |
- Summer internship is limited-time employment lasting 400 total hours
- Internship dates are approximate and will run June through August
- Intern will be compensated at a rate of $19.00/hour for an average of 40 hours/week
- Intern will receive up to ten day of unpaid vacation
- This position may require some evening and weekend hours
- Housing, benefits, and health insurance not included
University Recreation & Wellbeing:
Rec Well is part of Student Affairs at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, led by the vice chancellor for student affairs. Our staff is dedicated to serving students and to helping them succeed in and out of the classroom in areas including health and well-being, identity and inclusion, leadership and engagement, and student advocacy. Student Affairs includes departments led by the dean of students; departments that provide identity-based spaces and leadership resources; the Wisconsin Union; University Health Services; and University Recreation and Wellbeing.
About the University of Wisconsin-Madison:
Since its founding in 1848, the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus has been a catalyst for the extraordinary. As a public land-grant university and prolific research institution, our students, staff, and faculty members partake in a world-class education and solve real-world problems. With the Wisconsin Idea as our guiding principle, we're not only changing the 936 acres we call home-Badgers are also creating a better future for Wisconsin, the nation, and the world.
About the City of Madison:
With a population of 255,000, Madison, WI has small town feels and big city amenities. Known for its natural beauty, recreational opportunities, and thriving social scene, Madison boasts impressive numbers. Nestled on an isthmus between 15,000 acres of lakes and an extensive network of 270+ parks and 200+ miles of biking trails. Madison is one of only five platinum-level bike cities, home to 370 restaurants, shops, and exceptional art institutions. The city is consistently recognized as a great place to live:
#1 Top 100 Best Places to Live - Livability.com, 2022
#1 Cities with the Best Work-Life Balance - smartasset.com, 2020
#1 Best Hospitals in Wisconsin - U.S. News & World Report, 2020
#2 Best Cities for Bikes - peopleforbikes.org, June 2020
#2 Happiest Cities in America - menshealth.com, December 2020
#2 Best Cities for Millennials - rent.com, September 2020
#2 Best Places for Outdoor Enthusiasts to Live and Work - smartasset.com, October 2020
#4 Fittest City in the U.S. - ACSM American Fitness Index, 2020
#4 Best Places to Live for Quality of Life - US News, 2021
|How to Apply: || |
Please click the "Apply Now" button to begin the application process. As part of the application process, you will be required to upload a current resume and a cover letter addressing your work-related experience and qualifications related to this position.
This position will remain open until filled. Priority deadline for review is March 1, 2023.
|Contact: || |
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1. See RELAY_SERVICE for further information.