Area Coordinators are paid hourly including during passive duty hours. Including overtime, average annual salary in the mid 40s. Apartment includes utilities and parking. Partner and animal friendly.
The Area Coordinator is one of the professional staff members who comprise the staff of the Office of Residential Life. Reporting to the Director of Residential Life, the Area Coordinator serves as a live-in, student development professional whose primary responsibility is the oversight of a specific residential area, where the Area Coordinator will facilitate all aspects of the residential experience for the students residing therein. The Area Coordinator must be able to work both independently and collaborative.
Lasell seeks faculty and staff who appreciate the value diversity brings to a campus community and are eager to foster an inclusive environment here at the University. Employees who represent the various areas of diversity of our student body are key contributors to our strategic vision.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the principal duties of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. Lasell University has the right to add or change the job responsibilities at any time.
1. Create a healthy living/learning environment in a specified residential area on campus through: creative programming that is based in student development theory, and reflects the mission and values of the University; consistent implementation of University policies; and the building of a community atmosphere through intentional interactions with the students living in the residential area.
2. Within a student development framework, supervise and educate an undergraduate staff of Resident Assistants, including appropriate evaluations, and regularly scheduled individual and full-staff meetings.
3. Assume the lead responsibility for functional area focused on residential programming. Other functional areas include: RA staff selection and training: technology and operations; and the University’s conduct system.
4. Serve as an Administrative Hearing Officer in the University’s conduct system.
5. Act in the capacity of on-call administrator for staff management and crisis/emergency situations, on regular assigned duty schedule, during non-business and weekend hours. In order to provide fair and equitable compensation on-call hours paid hourly resulting in regular over-time pay.
6. Work with the Manager of Housing Operations to: ensure the proper maintenance of occupancy records, and that appropriate reports are created; assess and report facility issues in the residential area of responsibility; insure that Resident Assistant staff fulfills their responsibilities related to housing operations.
7. Participate in all required department and division meetings, as well as in-service training programs and individual meetings with the Director; assist with summer residential functions as required; serve on divisional and institutional committees when appropriate.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Education level:
Bachelor’s degree and one to three years of residential experience in the college/university setting required; preferred candidates will have a master’s degree in a related field (student development, counseling or higher education), and direct experience in college/university residential management and programming, and working with diverse student populations.
Computer skills: Microsoft Office; competence or ability to learn to use databases and other forms of electronic communication. Office utilizes software platforms including The Housing Director (THD), Guardian, Power Campus, and Canvas.
Other Requirements of the Job:
On call duty requires the ability to travel throughout the campus, including all floors of residences, most of which do not have elevators. Preferred candidates must enjoy working in a high-traffic, fast-paced environment. Demonstrate cultural competency with diverse groups, anticipate problems, reconcile conflicts, provide quality customer service to our residents. All candidates must have a commitment to student development; the ability to lead and develop staff; excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to handle multiple assignments concurrently; and an understanding of, and the ability to apply, student development and learning outcomes theories. Team and cross department collaborations are essential along with the ability to work independently.
Lasell University is committed to increasing the diversity of its community. Candidates who believe they will contribute to that commitment are encouraged to apply.
An innovative educational institution for over 170 years, Lasell is an independent coeducational college emphasizing the integration of professional and liberal arts programs leading to bachelor's and master's degrees. The campus is situated in suburban Newton, Massachusetts, eight miles from downtown Boston.
Lasell was among the first private colleges in Massachusetts and a pioneer in post-secondary education for women. The former seminary became Lasell Junior College in 1932. In 1989, Lasell College emerged as a four-year institution and in 1998, became co-ed. In 2002, Lasell College launched the first of its now more than 20 graduate degree programs. In 2000, the institution opened Lasell Village, a vibrant continuing care retirement community with a fully integrated educational focus. Located on the Newton campus, Lasell Village cemented Lasell's place as a leader in intergenerational education. In 2019, Lasell was granted university status.
A commitment to teaching excellence and academic innovation has been at the heart of Lasell from its beginning. The school is widely recognized for helping students make the connection between classroom lessons and real life through ...the integration of challenging coursework with practical experience in an environment that fosters lifelong intellectual exploration, active citizenship, and social responsibility.
Today, with an expanding and diverse student body, Lasell is setting enrollment and fundraising records and moving forward with an ambitious strategic plan.