The official salary range is $30,722 - $49,150; most new Resident Directors salaries are between $36,500 – $40,000; tuition waiver; and comprehensive benefits package.
All full-time employee salaries are based on the level of experience in comparison to those of current employees. RDs are classified as “exempt” employees under FLSA.
All full-time staff members earn one day of sick leave per each month of employment. Staff members earn 15 days of vacation each year during the first five years
The Resident Director (RD) is a full-time, live-in, 12-month, professional staff member who serves as part of the Residence Life departmental leadership. The RD assumes responsibility for the overall direction, management, and leadership of a designated residence hall with 250-750 residents, and their work directly impacts their students’ academic and personal success.
• Provide supervision for multiple staff members, including an Assistant Resident Director or Senior RA, between 12-20 Resident Advisors, 4-6 Desk Clerks, and a full-time Office Assistant for the hall.
• Form positive relationships with other University departments by communicating regularly with them and following-up on issues promptly.
• Develop an inclusive residential curriculum to meet the academic and developmental needs of their residents.
• Promote an academically supportive environment by intervening with students who are at risk due to academic concerns.
• Serve as hearing officers for conduct cases, providing a supportive environment for students to grow and develop.
• Ensure that effective crisis management procedures are in place, including procedures for fire and weather-related emergencies.
• Responsible for a departmental assignment or initiative team, or teach at least one section of EDP 518 (RA Class) each semester.
The University of Kentucky Office of Student Success operates from a student-centered foundation. We seek to build a strong community through the care of and concern for every member of Student Success. We cultivate an equity-minded working and learning environment where people are seen and valued. We strive to revolutionize student success practice through a culture of ingenuity, excellence, agency, and accountability. The twenty-five units and five areas that comprise Student Success are committed to one vision: designing and delivering unparalleled student services. To learn more about the Office for Student Success, visit: https://studentsuccess.uky.edu/.
A master’s degree in College Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration, or Counseling and experience working with leadership development programs is highly preferred. A bachelor’s degree and one year of employment experience in working with students in higher education or in a residential setting or an equivalent combination of education and related experience is required.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate: 1. supervisory and administrative skills 2. knowledge of academic support strategies in a residential setting 3. responsiveness to safety and security issues in a residential setting 4. application of student development theory
About University of Kentucky Office of Residence Life
Residence Life, part of the Office for Student Success, creates a home-away-from-home in the residence halls for our students. Our staff serves as a helpful resource for all residents, from the programs and activities run by Resident Advisors to the support of the full-time, live-in Resident Directors. Through the efforts of all of our staff members, living on campus is an inclusive, safe, and fun learning and living environment for our residents.