Location: Ithaca, New York
Manager of Finance & Business Performance
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Student and Campus Life (SCL) inspires transformation in all Cornell students on their journey of individual, academic and personal evolution. Our division is comprised of leading student affairs experts who support our campus on pressing student life matters including public service, health, wellness, social justice, residential living, food services, sports, recreation, career services, and student activities and organizations including sorority and fraternity life. We provide support and services to roughly 25,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students on multiple campuses in the U.S. and abroad.
Campus Life Enterprise Services (CLES) is the primary revenue-generating unit within Student and Campus Life, inclusive of Cornell Dining, Cornell Catering, Housing and Residential Life, Conference and Event Services, The Cornell Store(s), and a dedicated CLES Marketing and Communications team. CLES is a large campus-wide organization, with an annual budget of approximately $200 million and employs over 800 regular (union and non-union) staff members and over 800 contingent and student employees to successfully operate its broad-ranging business operations.
The Manager of Finance & Business Performance supports their assigned unit Executive Director by directly overseeing the financial and budgetary operations of the entire unit in order to strengthen the department's position and promote advancement of our student-centered divisional mission. This position is deeply engaged in the development and oversight of a ~$70-100M annual budget. This includes working closely with the Student and Campus Life (SCL) Business Service Center to monitor financial transactions, review compliance with University and divisional policies/practices, maintain account integrity, as well as collaborating with senior leadership on operational initiatives, income and expense tracking, and long-range financial planning activities. By continuously monitoring, evaluating, and communicating the financial health of the organization, the Manager of Finance & Business Performance ensures that leaders are empowered to make effective business decisions and share important and timely updates with key campus partners. This role also serves as a conduit to the Campus Life Enterprise Services (CLES) financial planning team and works in close partnership with the CLES Asst. Director of Enterprise Finance & Business Planning to ensure departmental alignment on overarching financial and organizational strategy.
A successful Manager of Finance & Business Performance will:
* Cultivate key relationships with departmental leaders, management staff, frontline staff members, and campus partners using strong customer service skills to ensure strong connection points and effective communication channels in a team-based environment
* Contribute positively to the development, configuration, and enhancement of strong business analytical reporting tools, techniques and procedures that support inclusive and diverse teams with varied goals and objectives; ultimately impacting and influencing unit business decisions in a positive way.
* Demonstrate a high-level of organizational skills that prioritize efficiency, accuracy, and practicality across all organizational processes and procedures
* Use sound ethical judgment and critical time management skills to accomplish tasks that are urgent, highly sensitive and/or confidential in nature exercising critical thinking and creative problem-solving techniques to advance work efficiently and effectively.
* Bachelor's Degree in related field plus at least three years of relevant experience including experience in strategic financial planning, sales analysis and/or navigating and leveraging complex financial databases to report on company/unit performance. Equivalent combination of education and experiences is acceptable.
* Excellent communication (written and oral) to communicate professionally with a broad range of clients, constituents, and customers
* Superior interpersonal, time management and organizational skills with a high attention to detail
* Ability to exercise discretion, resolve problems using sound judgment, and maintain confidentiality.
* Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, MS Outlook, PowerPoint, MS Excel, database management tools, professional communications tools, etc. as well as demonstrated experience using advanced spreadsheets and databases.
* MBA, CPA, or additional educational certification or experience relevant to the field is strongly preferred
* Prior experience with auxiliary services or residential services businesses in a higher-ed environment is helpful, but not required
Ideally this position would be located on the Ithaca campus but flexibility around remote or hybrid work locations would be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position
University Job Title:
Pay Rate Type:
$79,901.00 - $97,657.00
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.