Location: Ithaca, New York
Director of Equipment Operations
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Student and Campus Life (SCL) inspires transformation in all Cornell students on their journey of individual, academic and personal evolution. Our division is comprised of leading student affairs experts who support our campus on pressing student life matters including public service, health, wellness, social justice, residential living, food services, sports, recreation, career services, and student activities and organizations including sorority and fraternity life. We provide support and services to roughly 25,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students on multiple campuses in the U.S. and abroad.
Cornell University is an NCAA Division I institution and a member of the Ivy League. The university fields teams in 37 intercollegiate sports and provides a comprehensive physical education program. The university is committed to the following: excellence in academics and athletics; gender equity and diversity in its programs; a well-balanced and broad-based intercollegiate athletics program. The Department of Athletics & Physical Education offers a diverse program of intercollegiate athletics competition, physical education, recreational services, intramural sports competition, and outdoor education; in addition, the department provides Wellness programs for Cornell faculty and staff and operates fitness centers for the entire Cornell community.
The Equipment Operations unit supports the day-to-day operations of 37 varsity sports, physical education, wellness, and faculty/staff recreation. The unit is responsible for the purchase, maintenance, and repair of equipment, the issuing of team gear and recreational equipment, and the laundering of uniforms and workout apparel. The Equipment Operations unit works to support the Department's philosophy of a sound mind and sound body.
The Director of Equipment Operations plays a critical role in the oversight of all operations associated with equipment and apparel needs for the Department of Athletics and Physical Education. This position facilities the ordering, issuing, tracking, and storing of a large volume of sports equipment, apparel, shoes, and uniforms, totaling up to approximately $750K worth of products each year. In addition, the Director of Equipment Operations supervises a staff of union employees and several student workers, overseeing the day-to-day activities to ensure smooth and efficient operations. This role works to guarantee that the 1,100 student-athletes on 37 varsity sports teams and the hundreds of Cornell students, faculty, and staff that participate in Wellness and Recreational Services activities have the necessary supplies and equipment to compete and/or participate successfully and safely.
- A high degree of organization and attention to detail, as well as a thorough understanding of sports equipment, apparel, and shoe features and characteristics.
- The ability to communicate and interact effectively with many constituencies - student-athletes, other students, coaches, faculty, staff, and product manufacturers/vendors.
- Strong supervisory skills to effectively manage and motivate the equipment staff, including the ability to act independently and display sound judgement in problem solving.
- Bachelor's degree and at least two years of equipment management experience, or an equivalent combination of education/experience.
- Experience ordering, issuing, fitting, repairing, and storing athletics equipment, apparel, and shoes.
- Ability to discern between wants and needs and to make difficult decisions based on legitimate needs, safety considerations, and financial constraints.
- Working knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
- AEMA certification, or the ability to become certified within one year of hiring.
- Experience assisting with or managing equipment operations at the NCAA Division I level.
- Familiarity with Nike products.
- Experience using Helmet Tracker software or other inventory management software programs.
- Working knowledge of Ivy League rules and regulations.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
University Job Title:
Athletic Operations Admin II
Athletics & Physical Education
Pay Rate Type:
$61,409.00 - $71,367.00
Remote Option Availability:
Number of Openings:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.