We are not-for-profit: St. Louis Community college (STLCC) is a non-profit institution dedicated to empowering students, expanding minds, and changing lives. Employees are committed to strengthening the St. Louis community with inclusive and transformative education.
We are a respected employer: For 60 years, STLCC has served the St. Louis community, expanding to 4 main campuses, 2 education centers, 2 workforce training centers, and 5 centers of excellence. More than one-half of the households in St. Louis have at least one member who has taken classes at STLCC.
We make an impact in the community: Through credit courses, continuing education, and workforce development programs, STLCC annually serves nearly 69,000 students. More than 80% of career and technical graduates employed in their fields or continue their education at four-year institutions within six months of graduation. STLCC sends more transfer students to Missouri’s four-year colleges/universities than anyone else.
We value Diversity, equity & inclusion: STLCC is committed to fostering an atmosphere of appreciation for all people, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or class.
What you get:
Benefits package [for full-time employees]: STLCC offers one of the best benefit packages in the St. Louis area. As a STLCC employee you will have access to a 100% match on your contribution to retirement, two health insurance plans options that are no cost to the employee - including an HSA option, low-cost life insurance with a 3x salary benefit, and other low-cost benefits including dental, vision, AD&D, ST LT disability insurance.
Opportunity to grow: Over half of our employees have served the college for more than 12 years, exploring different career paths and advancing to higher level positions.
Education & training opportunities: STLCC offers tuition waivers for employees [full-time and part-time] + their dependents. Full-time employees can take advantage of tuition reimbursement for other institutions after just 6 months of service, and an annual professional development allotment.
Work/life balance: Full-time STLCC employees have access to a generous time off package, including holidays, vacation, personal days, medical leave, and other leave options. Our holiday schedule even includes a paid winter holiday at the end of the calendar year.
Commitment to wellness: STLCC HR boasts a dedicated health and wellness specialist who is enthusiastic about creating a culture of wellness throughout the College. With access to college wellness vendors, employees are educated, motivated, and rewarded for healthy behaviors. STLCC employees and anyone living in their household also have access to an employee assistance program (EAP) that can help them with virtually any life need.
The basics of this position:
The TRIO Upward Bound program is hiring Peer Tutors. TRIO Peer Tutors will work with area high school students and:
Create an atmosphere of effective, efficient, friendly and reliable service, providing an easy, accessible, credible resource from which individuals can access information. Perform duties necessary to ensure exceptional student service and assists with a diverse range of administrative support services in TRIO.
Act as a role model in demonstrating study strategies and habits necessary for success in a specified academic area.
What you'll do:
• As a Peer Tutor, provides transformative impact on students by empowering them to understand content material, use effective learning strategies, and learn in a collaborative environment.
• Facilitates workshops on academic success topics and TRIO orientations. Sets up and monitors TRIO recruitment events.
• Completes contact forms, including student attendance at sessions, accurately and on time.
• Maintains confidentiality of students’ personal and academic information and records as per FERPA and college guidelines.
• Attends required training activities and scheduled events.
• Performs office tasks such as filing, making copies, and scheduling appointments.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Education, experience, and other requirements:
• Must be currently enrolled or registered at St. Louis Community College and making progress toward completion of a degree and/or transfer study program as defined in Board Policy.
• Must maintain enrollment while employed in this position.
• Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the College.
• Must have demonstrated ability to relate well with students, faculty and administration.
• Aptitude for tutoring in specific content area such as math, science and foreign language.
• Good interpersonal communication skills with an emphasis on listening and assessing the needs of diverse learners.
• Possesses effective time management skills: punctual; completes associated responsibilities of the job in a timely manner.
• Patient and passionate about working with high school students.
• Practices professional behavior in language, dress and demeanor.
• Proficiency with computers, Microsoft Office, email.
• Sufficient technical skill to conduct online tutoring sessions with designated virtual platforms.
• Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding environment.
STLCC has provided opportunity for all. As the largest higher educational institution in the region, STLCC has served more than 1.2 million students. Over 50% of households in the St. Louis area are represented in our former and current student body. Since 1962, St. Louis Community College has held fast to the fundamental belief that education has the power to lift us up — as individuals, as communities and as a city.Today, STLCC consistently ranks among the top associate degree-awarding institutions in the United States. As we launch students into new and better careers, four-year degrees and richer lives, we strengthen St. Louis one student at a time. The College employs 1,400+ full-time faculty and staff and 2,300+ part-time faculty and staff