Towson University (TU) is one of the nation’s top 100 public universities. Located north of Baltimore, TU currently enrolls more than 19,000 students and is the second-largest university in the prestigious University System of Maryland. Towson University values diversity and fosters a climate that is grounded in respect and inclusion to cultivate the intellectual and personal growth of the entire university community.
As a member of the Event and Conference Services (ECS) team, in the division of Student Affairs, the Event Sales Manager reports to the Associate Director with latitude for exercising independent judgment and initiative. This role is responsible for contracting external events taking place on core campus from initial inquiry through event execution. This position is responsible for securing and executing internal and external residential and day summer programs which take place late May through mid-August including but not limited to sports and academic camps, conferences, and educational programs. This role plans and executes both weekly student organization and department meetings and serves as the primary liaison throughout the academic year. This position is responsible for implementing all aspects of events to the highest standards and makes certain University policies and procedures are followed to ensure guest satisfaction. This role serves as a crowd manager at university signature events.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Maintain thorough knowledge of various campus venues, residence halls and campus services to effectively book business within established guidelines. Foster strong working relationships with campus partners to promote teamwork. Build rapport with various campus partners to market their services to enhance guest experience and further promote the University’s reputation as a desirable venue to host conferences, meetings, retreats and summer programs.
- Contract, plan and execute external programs throughout the year and summer internal/external residential camps and day events. Optimize summer occupancy in residence halls and campus facilities. Help with yield management strategies to maximize use of university facilities. Conduct campus tours. Maintain department forecast. Book conference, classroom, recreation venues and resident halls. Upsell summer team building services and educational programs to enhance camp experience. Educate camp directors on the University’s policy regarding minors on campus and the State of Maryland’s Camp Certification process. Secure signed contracts, agreements, deposits, final balances, tax exemption certificates and certificates of insurance.
- Finalize and execute external meetings. Adhere to University standards, guidelines, procedures, and safety protocol to ensure safe and successful events. Prepare layout diagrams, set-up details, and tech orders. Schedule housekeeping, event staff and parking. Order contracted services and equipment rentals to provide services not available in-house. Distribute appropriate documentation including banquet event orders and floor diagrams. Arrive early to event venue to ensure setup is accurate and that all logistical details are in place. Remain onsite if applicable to ensure program runs smoothly from beginning to end. Trouble shoot and offer alternative solutions as conflicts arise. Follow up with event meeting planners before, during and after key programs to ensure guest satisfaction. Complete invoices in a timely and accurate manner.
- Finalize and execute logistics for summer internal and external residential camps and day programs. Schedule linen service, team building activities, parking, transportation, catering space, dining meals, housekeeping, event staff, and Gatorade service. Complete same process listed above regarding finalizing external meetings. Distribute and collect Group Room Rosters. Complete Group Resumes. Coordinate special dietary needs with food vendor. Attend various summer planning meetings with various campus partners including but not limited to housing residence life, facilities management, housekeeping, parking, dining services, grounds management, athletics, campus recreation and ECS operations. Secure final balance due prior to group’s arrival. Be available 24/7 for assigned summer groups to ensure program runs smoothly.
- Plan and execute weekly student organizations’ meetings and serve at the primary liaison throughout the academic year. Resolve concerns and offer creative solutions. Assist as needed with planning internal programs taking place during the academic year.
- Serve as a crowd manager at university signature events and as a Manager on Duty on assigned weekends.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Candidate must have a minimum of one year of experience in sales and/or event planning preferably in a university or hotel setting.
- Able to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends, holidays and be willing to be available 24/7 for assigned summer camps and programs.
- Self-motivated, goal oriented, strong multi-tasking skills, highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Strong listening skills and ability to offer creative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Able to foster relationships, work as a team player and committed to guest satisfaction and safety protocol.
- Experience with 25Live, Smart Sheet, TIPS Alcohol Awareness, Crowd Management Certification.
Salary and Benefits
$50,000 - $55,000 annually and full University benefits that include 22 days of annual leave, up to 14 holidays, personal and sick days; excellent health, life, and retirement plans; and tuition remission. To learn more about our benefits, please click here. TU also offers a variety of great perks and discounts, which can be found here.
If you are motivated, innovative and team-oriented, we would love to hear from you.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume with your online application.
This position will be open for a minimum of 14 days.
The safety of our students, faculty, staff, and neighbors has been our top priority and the focus of every one of our decisions since the earliest days of the COVID-19 pandemic. Therefore, the University System of Maryland (USM) has strongly encouraged full COVID vaccination and up-to-date booster shots (when eligible) for all faculty, staff, and students at all schools in the USM as both a reasonable and necessary means of protecting our health and safety.