Location: Ithaca, New York
Event Lead - Cornell Catering & Concessions
Cornell University embraces diversity and seeks candidates who will contribute to a climate that supports students, faculty and staff of all identities and backgrounds. We strongly encourage individuals from underrepresented and/or marginalized identities to apply.
Student & Campus Life (SCL) inspires transformation in all Cornell students on their journey of individual, academic and personal evolution. Our division is comprised of leading student affairs experts who support our campus on pressing student life matters including public service, health, wellness, social justice, residential living, food services, sports, recreation, career services, and student activities and organizations including sorority and fraternity life. Our nearly 4,000 staff and student employees who make up SCL embrace the opportunity to represent the division and strive for excellence as we shape the Cornell student experience, one interaction at a time
Under general supervision, the Event Lead assists in preparation and presentation of various foods for service at concessions and catered event. These tasks are accomplished through their own efforts and through the coordination of assigned staff. Additionally, this position has the unique responsibility of serving as a role model for the team and therefore must be team-oriented, customer-service driven and have a desire to succeed.
Likely daily tasks include:
- Assisting with the coordination of customer orders and work assignments, including their own, for the preparation, production, presentation and service of various food items to ensure timeliness at a variety of concessions, suites service and catered events. This includes preparing specific food items and maintaining the specific equipment and supplies that belong to these stations
- Ensuring and maintaining food standards and health codes at all times; including, HACCP, and NY State Health codes and procedures as well as all NYS liquor authority laws regarding the controls of alcohol at all points of sale.
- Operate register and process sales transactions using appropriate procedures for cash, checks, credit cards and meal plan cards by following established security procedures for all cash transactions.
A successful candidate, must have good customer service, interpersonal, communication and leadership skills as well as be able to work with a varied clientele and coworkers. Will also be able to provide functional supervision and/or training of other culinary staff and student employees as assigned. Ability to be creative and adapt to changing and varied roles is imperative as well as being flexible as schedules, shifts, locations, and daily tasks are subject to change. Position may require evening, weekend, and holiday hours. May perform other related duties as assigned. Position may be subject to seasonal lay-offs.
- High school diploma or equivalent with at least one year related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Higher education and experience in a leadership role is preferred.
- Basic skills in English including reading, writing, math and verbal articulation.
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs. occasionally and up to 50 lbs. (minimal). Must be able to reach over your head. Must be able to stand for long periods of time, and conduct repetitive motion, such as chopping, stirring, and mixing. Occasional squatting and frequent bending. Continuous exposure to temperature changes (must be able to tolerate the extreme ranges), heat, steam, smoke, slippery floors, food waste and kitchen equipment such as slicers, fryers, steamers, ovens. Prolonged attentiveness in the use of equipment and the tasks at hand. Long periods of standing.
- Experience in off-premise catering or concessions operations and ServSafe Certifications are preferred.
- Prior experience with the service and sale of alcohol products is preferred and knowledge of proper sanitation and HACCP procedures helpful.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
University Job Title:
Food Service Worker S04
United Auto Workers
Pay Rate Type:
Refer to Union Pay Rates Link Below
Remote Option Availability:
Job Titles and Pay Ranges:
Noted pay ranges reflect the potential pay opportunity for each job profile. The hiring rate of pay for the successful candidate will be determined considering the following criteria:
Prior relevant work or industry experience
Education level to the extent education is relevant to the position
Unique applicable skills
Academic Discipline (faculty pay ranges reflects 9-month annual salary)
Online Submission Guidelines:
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
Notice to Applicants:
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University's heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. We also recognize a lawful preference in employment practices for Native Americans living on or near Indian reservations. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students, and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose, and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery, and engagement.