Job Description Summary
The Residence Director is a full-time, 3 year limited term live-in professional staff member who is responsible for the overall administration of one to four residence halls. The Residence Director supervises a staff of undergraduate and graduate Resident Assistants and creates a healthy living/learning environment through creative programming, counseling, facility management, staff supervision, policy implementation, and administrative duties.
Bentley University offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package (including medical, dental, and vision), ample paid time off, a tuition remission benefit, and 403(b) retirement plan with an employer contribution for eligible employees. Additionally, Bentley employees enjoy appealing perks such as Fridays off in the summer, on- and off- campus professional development opportunities and more. The Residence Director is a live-on position with a 1-2 bedroom, fully furnished apartment, full meal plan, comprehensive partner and pet policies. To view videos to learn more about benefits and the campus culture, please visit: https://www.bentley.edu/offices/human-resources/careers
- Supervise a staff of 9-22 Resident Assistants in designated buildings
- Participate in the Resident Assistant Selection Process; Train and evaluate Resident Assistants
- Plan and conduct weekly resident hall staff meetings; Meet with each staff member individually on a bi-weekly basis
- Manage Residence Hall budget and administer staff programming funding.
- Serve as a BentleyPlus advisor by attending role-specific trainings, facilitating advising sessions, and sending follow-up communications to advisees.
- Administer Resident Assistant programming
- Advise Residence Hall Councils
- Act as an Administrative Hearing Officer for the Bentley conduct system
- Mediate roommate inflicts
- Serve as an on-call administrator for crisis and emergency situations during non-business and weekend hours
- Provide academic and personal counseling to students and make referrals when appropriate
- Oversee the operational management of the building(s)
- Facilitate the opening and closing of the residence halls
- Conduct regular health and safety inspections
- Coordinate follow-up procedure for all maintenance and housekeeping concerns/requests
- Work with the Assistant Director of Housing to insure proper occupancy records and reports.
Department & University Relations:
- Serve on departmental and institutional committees
- Attend department and area staff meetings, in-service training programs, and one-on-one meetings with assigned supervisor
- Act as a liaison with faculty and appropriate offices
- Respond to students and parents regarding Residential Life issues
- Assist with the implementation of institutional and departmental goals and objectives
- Coordinate specific summer projects as assigned by the Director of the Residential Center and/or Assistant Directors of the Residential Center.
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration or related field required (graduate residence life experience preferred) or a Bachelor's degree with 1-2 years professional residence life experience.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of student development theory.
- Effective communication skills, including cross-cultural communication skills, as well as experience or interest in working and programming with diverse populations.
- Experience working will specialized populations preferred.
- Shares administrator on-duty functions with seven others during the academic year. The RD must live in assigned housing. Frequent and significant evening, late night, and weekend hours are required.
- May need to go to the scene of student issues wherever they take place on campus. Climbing stairs and walking down hallways in Residence Halls will likely be required to accomplish.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.