The Placement Exchange Job Board
Job Seekers, Welcome to The Placement Exchange Job Board
Active Advanced Search Filters: (Click to remove)
Use this area to filter your search results. Each filter option allows for multiple selections.
Search Results: 1 JobsCreate Alert
Loading... Please wait.
Loading... Please wait.
Expand Show Other Jobs
Job Saved Save Job
Dean of Students
Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
Location: Winona, Minnesota
Internal Number: 1646
Location: Red Wing or Winona MN
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Employment Condition: Unlimited
Under general administrative oversight, the Dean of Students (DOS) is responsible for providing the strategic, financial, personnel, and programmatic direction for the areas assigned. This position provides supervision, leadership and the necessary direction for meeting the educational needs of a diverse student body. The position will achieve a high standard of excellence and innovation, implementing high-impact practices and emerging industry trends across student services. The Dean of Students is responsible for leading extensive and complex institutional change efforts that establish and support student success initiatives. The position has primary responsibility for facilitating and coordinating student retention efforts across a broad coalition of faculty and staff. In addition, the position provides independent administrative oversight, management, and supervision of professional staff. The incumbent is responsible for effectively budgeting, planning, coordinating, and providing exceptional leadership, vision, and guidance to assigned areas. The DOS specifically provides oversight, leadership, and technical direction for the following: student retention, accommodation services, academic support and advising, registration and records, mental health and wellness, basic needs, student conduct, student senate, and student life.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND RESULTS
- Lead, supervise, and direct department personnel, including but not limited to hiring, coaching and developing, promoting, rewarding, assigning and reviewing of work, directing work, approving transfers, disciplining, discharging and adjusting grievances to ensure the department processes flow smoothly.
- Ensure collective bargaining agreements and Minnesota State policies and procedures are implemented and appropriately enforced, all applicable laws and regulations are implemented and enforced, and all employees and applicants receive equitable treatment.
- Develop training and evaluation processes in both written and electronic format for the proper training of operations staff. This position will monitor and evaluate staff to assure performance objectives are being met.
- Responsible for all functional areas in the Dean's office: academic support and advising, tutoring and testing, accessibility services, registration and records, mental health counseling, basic needs, and student life.
- Serves as a member of the Student Success management team so that college-wide policies and programs accurately reflect the department's goals and objectives.
- Participates in policy committees and represents the department at meetings with college leaders and other Minnesota State officials.
Provide leadership, decision-making, strategic direction, budgeting, and management for all functional areas in the Dean's office; as well as providing direct management of and services for student conduct and student senate.
- Ensure excellence in service in functional areas, and maintain continuous improvement processes to ensure quality of service across the department.
- Provides managerial leadership to the development, implementation, and completion of the Strategic Plan items impacting the Dean of Student's functional areas of responsibility.
- Steward and lead key Minnesota State system initiatives and mandates related to the areas within the Dean's portfolio, including those related to registration and records, student success and retention, Equity 2030, sexual violence and drug and alcohol training.
- Serve as lead manager for student life at the college, including collaborating and supporting the student senate and senate advisor(s), as well as leading the ongoing development of a student life function for the college. The Dean of Students has responsibility for the development, management, and assessment of co-curricular activities/learning at the college.
- Provide program oversight and support to the Accessibility Services Coordinator to ensure student accommodations are implemented appropriately and following all ADA, federal and state compliance regulations.
- Provide professional development opportunities as needed to assure campus wide awareness, compliance, and support for students.
Lead implementation of college initiatives focused on student retention and success efforts.
- Organize and facilitate the college's annual Retention Summit and Student Success Day (SSD) in collaboration with key constituents across the college. Facilitate the data-informed development and execution of both events; key responsibility is to assure the implementation of strategic retention outcomes and priorities resulting from the summit, the college strategic plan, and stakeholders.
- Lead the college's student retention team, bringing together key staff and faculty to strategize and implement retention-focused interventions resulting from the work done at the Retention Summit and in the college's strategic plans. Responsible for leading, organizing, facilitating, and managing the group's work.
- Provide administrative oversight and leadership for the Red Wing College Promise Program and other enrollment generating partnerships in collaboration with Admissions and Enrollment and Academic Support & Advising, monitor program processes and data for continuous improvement opportunities, make recommendations to the Student Success Leadership Team and implement strategies as directed.
- Explore, develop, and implement strategies that provide career services; measure and monitor impact.
- Collaborate closely with institutional effectiveness staff to collect, analyze, interpret retention technology data and trends. Provide regular communications and opportunities for discussion of data to the College community through Town Hall meetings, email correspondence, and similar discussion opportunities that advance the understanding of retention data and the use of technology software to support retention efforts.
- Make strategic and action-oriented recommendations to the VP of Student Success, the college leadership council, and the president's cabinet, in order to improve student success rates. Hold primary responsibility for moving approved interventions forward, implementing plans and tracking their impact and success, working collaboratively across the Student Success division and the college as needed.
Oversee and manage all facets of student conduct, including behavioral response, conduct meetings, conduct decisions, the behavioral intervention team, and the student code of conduct and student handbook.
- This position holds key responsibility for responding to student behavior, conduct, and crises, and will collaborate with other department staff, contracted mental health counselors, the Campus Security Officer, and other necessary parties when dealing with student concerns.
- The DOS will supervise and refine student conduct policies and practices, including oversight of both behavioral and academic disciplinary action and appeals processes.
- The DOS is responsible for reviewing, improving, and administering the student code of conduct and related behavioral processes, including the suspension and/or expulsion of students. They will be responsible for leading the ongoing review, updating, and enhancement of student-ready policies and procedures.
- The incumbent is responsible for convening and facilitating the college's behavioral intervention team, who is charged with responding to issues related to students of concern; documenting and maintaining student records as appropriate; provide data related to grievances and conduct required by the Higher Learning Commission.
- The DOS will be available to respond to after-hours crises, and will be expected to communicate with the VP of Student Success and, at times, the President, with regard to serious situations involving student behavior and/or wellbeing.
Serve as a campus leader
- Responsible for general oversight of daily operations for assigned areas, making decisions regarding process, safety, or other student issues as they arise in consultation with the VP of Student Success on the Red Wing and Winona Campuses.
- Provide guidance and council to faculty and staff on the Winona and Red Wing campuses as well as to the college administration regarding decisions related to the role of Dean of Students.
- Serve as the key point of contact for student emergencies, providing guidance and direction to personnel and students as needed.
- Master's degree in counseling, educational leadership, educational administration or related area.
- Five to seven years of progressively responsible experience including supervisory experience.
- Budget management knowledge and skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Clery Act, Title IX, accessibility/disability services, and other related compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Data Practices and FERPA Policies and Laws.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and present to groups, verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders, including high profile individuals and diverse campus constituencies.
- Negotiation and mediation skills sufficient to resolve differences between competing or different positions and to influence the endorsement, acceptance and priority for agency positions and policies.
- Theories and practices of management and leadership sufficient to direct human and fiscal resources so that program objectives are achieved.
- Ability to travel frequently within the scope of the position.
- Direct experience in student affairs, student retention, and/or counseling.
- Experience leading a student affairs functional unit.
- Experience with project management and strategic planning, leading major projects and initiatives from idea through execution and assessment.
Minnesota State College Southeast is a two-year technical and community college that prepares students for a lifetime of learning by providing education for employment, skill enhancement, retraining, and transfer, to meet the needs of students and the community. The Winona campus opened in 1949, merging with the Red Wing campus in 1992 and updating its name to Minnesota State College Southeast in 2016 with the change of mission to offer both technical training and the associate of arts degree. Minnesota State College Southeast is a member of Minnesota State. For more information, visit www.southeastmn.edu.
As an agency of the State of Minnesota, MSC Southeast offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, short and long term disability, generous vacation and sick leave, 10 paid holidays each year, employer paid life insurance, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plans, and tax-deferred compensation. Additional benefits include tuition waivers available to the position, their spouse and dependent children up to age 26.
Desired Start Date: 03/27/2023
About Minnesota State College Southeast Technical
Minnesota State College-Southeast Technical is dedicated to providing education for employment, skill enhancement, and retraining. The primary focus is to anticipate and meet the educational and training needs of students and employers. Southeast Technical provides students with a strong foundation of general and technical education opportunities for acquiring knowledge, skills, and attitudes for a lifetime of learning. The college anticipates and responds to global, technological, and social changes. Southeast Technical provides equal opportunity and recognizes individual needs in its education, service, and employment practices. Certificates, Diplomas, Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science Degrees are awarded upon successful completion.
Loading. Please wait.